- Feng Shui Home
- Business Feng Shui
- Life Aspects
"classical wisdom, modern inspirations"
The basis of this article is “solely” based the feng shui 峦头 physical properties to choose an auspicious feng shui home without consider the “energy” derived from the “Destiny” which is equally important!
Classical feng shui principle states that “峦头为体，理气为用”.
1. Start by studying the external physical attributes that surrounds the new BTO flat or new office or new project using google map or singapore street directory. Where are the locations/directions of infrastructure in relation to your new home e.g. roads, buildings, MRT, swimming pool, reservoir, shape of the building, junctions, shape of the roads concave or convex, expressways, smelly drains etc. Try to identify whether there are sha qi or bad energies for example hospital, police stations, mirror-like reflective glass buildings, construction works, empty plot of land and others.
2. Observe the location of your stack/block in relation to other buildings. The physical terrain of the 4 main “mountain 山势” influence such as the front 前朱雀, the back 後玄武, left hand sid 左青龙 and the right 右白虎.
3. Study the floor plan meticulously. What is the shape of the floor plan? Square, rectangle or out of shape? Where are the positions of main door, stove and bed? Which sector North, South, East, West, Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, Southwest (not the 24 mountain which can only be done via luopan)? How is the kitchen or bedroom in relation to your toilet doors? Any serious missing sectors from the floor plan more than 25% of the house. In Singapore feng shui, there are no perfect home or business office that fits like a glove unless your develop the home yourself base on an empty plot of land. Even so you are still limited by URA rules and guidelines.
4. Find out the “rough destiny” of your apartment (if you can) by plotting out the degree using the siteplan “North”, then check the table found in this website. This is using the house main door orientation instead of the condo main entrance. The main entrance of the entire condo impacts the developer if it is commercial building and for residential it influences all the units within the vicinity. Assume that the apartment consist of 300 units, then the destiny of the apartment will only affect you 1/300 or 0.33%. It is a common mistake to use the property fascade direction (some feng shui masters uses that) the basis for feng shui orientation. Once the destiny of the apartment is calculated, you will be able to tell whether this house is suitable for enterprising young couples to stay or elderly retirees or family man or unsuitable to stay.
5. If you have an existing good bazi master in Singapore then I am sure you are well aware of your family’s Bazi or Birth Profile 八字用神 lucky elements which could be fire, water, wood, earth or metal. You can use this lucky element as one of your plus point to factor in the selection of your choice unit. Take for e.g. your lucky element is Water then having a “North-facing” window will be a positive enhancement for you. Although this is not crucial because it can be adjusted later i.e. bed positioning, colour scheme etc. but is still one of the many conditions to help you to make a wise decision. You should have the expectation that a house cannot be compatible to all occupants’ bazi profiles. Most important the bed position and the active working area suits the occupants.
6. Do not buy a house or office with tilted doors. The fact that some feng shui masters in Singapore are so obsessed to tilt the door for their clients is because they believed that the house contained “negative” energies so by tilting the door they hope that the energies will change to positive! It does not work and the energies will not “changed” because of the tilt. Energies does not go sideways when you tilt the door. So if you see that the door is tilted it only means that the Destiny of the house is bad already. There are ways to change the Destiny of the house if it is bad but not by tilting of doors. Through many years of “hands-on” experiences the impact of slanted doors are temporary fix more like only last for 6 months or less. Over the years i have seen some existing houses with tilted doors done by previous feng shui masters, mostly ended up pretty bad!
7. Just bear in mind that the external physical landscape are fixed so you really got to study the surroundings deeply. From a very general and layman point of view, if the house is free from Sha Qi or bad energies it is worth the consideration. Examples of bad energies where main door or window faces “directly” to T-Junctions, expressways, convex roads. MRT/LRT directions, police stations, hospitals, constructions etc.
Whether the energy is consider good or bad depends on the distant of the view, if it is far far away and you need powerful binoculars to see then there is no danger. Don’t be unduly worry about what you hear about or find via the internet about bad sha qi, more often than not it is non-existing. After seeing so many houses over my past career, i have not really seen a house with very bad external landscape that cannot be diluted.
8. Past history of the house don’t let it haunt you. Find out for yourself the house history of previous owners, has someone commit suicide or divorce inside the house? A period 6 house is different from period 7 or period 8? Understanding the past, merely give us the peace of mind before signing on the dotted line. If psychologically you are uncomfortable with the house don’t buy it in the first place because it will become a stigma when something happen.
Let me tell you a true story, many years ago, i have this feng shui client who bought a divorce house. After doing the feng shui audit her husband was promoted as a regional director and was send to Vietnam for 3 years under contract which is supposedly good news? They have no kids so his wife being alone and not working starts to have 2nd thoughts about their marriage and suspect her husband infidelity. “Absence makes the heart wander instead of fonder”. She got so paranoia thinking that her husband has a mistress overseas, that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy thinking that she have bought a bad feng shui divorce home. She is so uptight that it affect her relations in work too. Her husband told me that she will nit-pick on the most trivial thing in the world whenever he is back from overseas. What follows after a few years it is no rocket science to the conclusion of their marriage. This incident illustrates that psychology and perceptions does influence the outcome of things. It is the classic sales speech of seeing the glass half full or half empty. Divorce or not is not solely about the home feng shui but personality and tolerance. During our grand papa time one never heard of the word “divorce” now it is so rampant!
In Singapore the main reason for marriage breakout is finance and personality clash not house feng shui LOL. Moreover different periods of the house have different destiny. A period 7 house is different from a period 8 house! One thing for sure if the house is empty for many years or selling at a ridiculously low price…something fishy must be going on.
9. As a general rule of thumb in Period 8 Year 2004 to 2023, refrain from seeing “artificial water” like roads, junctions, MRTs in the North-East Sector/direction using your house centre as the focal point. Instead you should see tall buildings.
As for the water or roads it should be located in the South-West sector. Assume you intend to choose a unit from siteplan, which stack inside this condo are you able to see another stack (building) in the North-East and seeing Water e.g. swimming pool in the South-West. Generally if your main concern is family health seek the house having North-East or South tall buildings. If you are enterprising singles just started out your career go for houses that sees water in the South-West or North directions.
“山环水抱，气聚有情， 山管人丁， 水管财”
In a general sense, Mountain or tall buildings in today’s context equates health.
Water in feng shui equates Wealth (not because of the cantonese word shui is wealth) however water is not the only medium to activate wealth. Water can be divided into real which is actually water itself and “artificial” e.g. roads, walkways, expressways, MRTs
Main Door feng shui
In fact the Main door orientation determines the Destiny of the Apartment actually impact how good is the feng shui of your home. The important consideration to choose a feng shui home is the sitting and orientation reading must be auspicious. There is a classical feng shui wisdom that goes like this “向首一星灾祸柄” or “入屋看门口，祸福知八九” it means just by looking at the door orientation and location we are able to predetermine whether this is a good or bad feng shui home.
Feng shui principle : “阳宅首重大门，以大门为气口，纳气旺则吉，衰气则凶”。又云：“宅以门为吉凶，路为助，门向辨”.
Other feng shui house tips
The yellow emperor doctrine of feng shui there are five “compact” 实 that makes a house progressively rich and five “loose” 虚 that makes a house poor. Some of these principles have to be modified in today’s context but i do see some relevance in today’s feng shui context. The five “compact” are:
a. Small House 阳气过盛 too many Occupants. It is a matter of balance. My estimate for a balance ratio is 1 occupant to 15-20 square metre. Likely effect for such a house is quarrelsome, dishamony, bad temper, poor concentration for studies etc
b. Big House few occupants 陰气重 affects health and child-bearing or even in extreme cases unseen “guests”. If you stayed in a big house more than 100 sq meter and only 2 occupnats it is consider 陰气过重In short you must own things with biological life, to increase the “Yang” energy e.g. you should consider gatherings over the weekends or own pets like dogs, cats, fishes, plants etc.
c. All walls should be complete not hacking away too many walls just to enlarge a certain room and causing imbalance in the home feng shui harmony. The walls should not show cracks and cob webs. Plaster and repaint your house if the walls are cracked.
d. A house feng shui should be populated with 6 animals 六畜： 马，牛，羊，鸡，犬，豕; this does not apply in today’s 21st century.
e. A house with the drainage in the South-East sector, this is not really applicable because there are other variables to take into considerations.
The other five “loose” i would not continue because they are basically the opposite of 5 “compact”.
Choose a Good destiny that is suitable to your profile. Are you a retiree where health is of fundamental importance? Or are you single young professionals just started out in your career where wealth is the most important? If you are single then you have the extra option to to choose a feng shui home that is also favourable to your bazi lucky elements e.g. you need fire then go for one with “south” windows. The feng shui 5 elements are Wood-East and South-East, Water-North, Earth-NorthEast and SouthWest, Metal-West and NorthWest. Take for instance if you choose an office feng shui that is loop-sided on a particular element it will caused disharmony among your staff. As an example if the fire element is particularly strong and dominant in an office environment, than the excess of fire which represent politeness will end up with hypocrisy among the staff.
The building must blend with the rest of whole site area i.e. not a high rise building sprung up from a low-rise building area nor a tiny house overshadowed by surrounding buildings or an old house in the middle of new modern buildings.
The front of the building should ideally be an open space with a low building to captivate the Qi or energies or the front of your land surface slightly inclined towards you than your building. Hence when rain, it would be like water flowing towards the building. This layout would be conducive to attact wealth, however the open area should not be a vacuum as in not surrounded by lower infrastructures. The open space can be a park, swimming pool, sea, open space and the back of your building should be taller than yours by about 20%-30%. On the left and right of your building should be equal in size and height if not possible choose the want on your left to be slightly higher say by 20% than the right side of your building. The left represents good networking and people who will help you in your career.
In feng shui the shape of the building must be regular in size like the 5-room HDB apartments (which are singapore government is not building anymore) , preferably square like some of the older estates in Singapore not sharp angular shape which is only aesthically appealing. In my opinion, it seems that with advancement in technology, buildings are looking unkindly odd which emphaise on the design element than the practical living feng shui values.
The cross-section of the building should not be toilet nor stove area. In other words the if you join the diagonals of the house floor plan, the stove or toilet should not land on the central-line and worse still if it is right smack in the centre sector.
Windows of your apartment should not face structures like a “satellite dish”, sharp corners of buildings, “noisy” environment like subway station, and other structures such as rubbish chute, graveyard, hospitals, temples, very glass like “bright” buildings etc
The illumination of the home feng shui must be balance. It should not be too bright nor too dim. A common misconception about feng shui is most people prefer the house to be bright, however If the house feng shui is too bright, occupants will feel agitated and lose their temper easily. In feng shui this is call 光煞, neither should the premise be too dim especially the lower floors to invite “unwanted guests”. The lighting of the house should be balance to conform the “yin and yang” principle.
Singapore feng shui due to space constraint has got lots of high-rise apartments. Staying in a place where is too windy especially on the high floors and near to the sea makes it difficult to accumultate wealth. If the home that you are staying where the door slam shut by itself means that the place is already too windy. Feng shui is about trapping the positive energies or “蕆风聚气”.
Check for missing sectors and what they represent. If it is 廉贞or bad energy sector then it is fine. On the other hand if the missing sector represent Wealth or Health or Career or Networking sector then it is consider as bad. The positive sectors should not be located in the toilet as well.
Please do not have the misconceptions that it is okay i can get a feng shui master to cure it. A sick body after surgery is still not as good as a healthy body without sicknesses.
a. North West – represents the fatherly figure or breadwinner, in iChing it represent the “heaven” body part is “head”; bad luck for the male breadwinner, disharmony in marriage, headache, migraine, undue stress.
b. South West – represents the motherly figure, iChing the “earth”; obviously it affects the health and luck of the wife, broken marriage.
c. East – elderest son, joint problems like arthritis, gout, etc.
d. South East – elderest daughter also similar to problems of the missing East sector.
e. North – 2nd son, problems like the ear and the kidney system.
f. South – 2nd daughter, problems relating to heart, blood and circulatory sicknesses.
g. North East – Youngest son, problems with digestion and intestines.
h. West – Youngest daughter, problems with the mouth, respiration system.
The above sectors and what it means are by no means general guidelines. The severity of the missing sectors also depends on the flying star combo and whether the energies are good or bad hence don’t go overboard about missing sectors.
Avoid units having their toilet or kitchen situated right smack centre of the house; The reason is simple, the centre controls the whole unit, like the heart of the body; so if the centre is the toilet it will affect the luck and general health of the household members. This kind of house generally have intestine and digestion problems. A kitchen that is located in the centre induces bad temper, tension among family members and cause illnesses relating to blood, heart, eyes and circulatory system.
Do not choose a house that is directly facing the main entrance of a hospital, fire station, mortuary or police station.
Do not choose a home that is the same orientation with your zodiac sign, e.g. if your are born in the year of rabbit 卯 (east) do not choose the house that faces the East.
Home that faces the sea. It is a common misnomer to assume that apartments that overlook the sea naturally means good feng shui homes. 水为财 Strangely east coast propery prices in the Singapore fetch a commanding price although it is not located in the core central business district. Base on xuan kong feng shui flying star 零神正神 (ling shen zheng shen principle) , if your windows or doorway overlooks the sea in the South-West or East direction in the 8th period of the flying star, your house enjoy pretty good feng shui. South-West for wealth and East orientation for corporate promotion. However for this 8th period if the water is found in the North East orientation it is bad. However this is just one of the basic rule to find a feng shui home in Singapore.
However one fact that is commonly ignore is that the degree of the orientation facing the sea is just as important, it has to fulfill a feng shui principle i.e. the degree must be conform to 零正 (zero or in-luck) principles. Base on Xuan Kong Da Gua 玄空大卦 or Yi Gua 易卦 theory, it is stated that “water” must be towards a shuai 衰 orientation and positive energies must be “in-luck” which for now belongs to the 8th period of xuan kong feng shui flying star. Therefore if the orientation is “in-luck” u should not be placing a water position or having a “water” orientation. What it means is that 正神 should be falling inside the water. i will not dwell on this “water orientation” concept further before it confuse you but the information is to let you be mindful that not all houses facing the sea are good feng shui homes. Let’s look at something that all of us can appreciate and that is from the “form” schools of feng shui:
No matter how beautiful the shape of condo and how many awards it has won, ensure the layout is regular in shape and squarish. A Square is always the preferred shape because there are no over size or under size or missing sectors. As you know any missing sector represent a member of our family members or a certain element or a certain part of our body etc
Before buying the apartment or office check out who are the previous owners. Please do not use the left-over bed and air-condition. If the house is vacant for more than 15 years, feng shui master singapore will advise you have to a complete make-over renovation.
If you are standing in front of the entrance of the building, ensure that in front of you the land is sloping slightly towards your building. This prove to be auspicious energies because Home feng shui (Yang Zhai) are in favour of Tian Qi ( Heavenly energies ) and tombstone are more in favour of Di Qi (Earthly energies). Ideally your building must have 2 bodyguards, one on the left and the other on the right of two more or less equal buildings in height and size. The left is symbolic to the green dragon 左青龙 and the right white tiger 右白虎. If you cannot get equal height and size, choose the left one to be proportionate taller and bigger but not overwhelming. At the back of your building should have a mountain or a taller building but in the 21st century this is more relevant to tombstone than today’s modern homes. Chinese feng shui call this mountain. These are just very basic guidelines.
Do not choose a house that the orientation that is true north 0 degree and south 180 degree, this orientation is meant for temples and emperors. This cardinal points are extremely strong and not many people are able to live with it not because it is bad. These houses are generally quarrelsome in nature.
If the feng shui of your house or office windows are facing towards street lights or neon lights advertisements/billboards then chances of traffic accidents happening is high to occupants.
The placement of electronics which are active energies and inactive energies like heavy furniture such as book rack should be balance base on the dualism yin and yang” theory. The theory of balance. The positive and negative energies of feng shui should not be directly opposite each other. It should be a fusion of active and passive energy. Take for example the main door is consider to be feng shui “yang” energies, you should not have HiFi, Audio equipments near the door way because electronics are also “yang” energies.
Avoid buying a house that is near to expressways. First is the noise and the other reason is that it is difficult to accumulate wealth on a straight road. Feng Shui “qi” should comes in the form of meandering like the rivers.
Do not over pay a property just because the Unit Numbers or Stack Numbers are 1,6, 8. Unit numbers are not influential in your home feng shui luck.