Altar placement is of paramount importance from feng shui perspective because it is a form of respect to God. The deity that you invite should be place at the best sector & not some leftover space after putting your furniture. Having say that, feng shui and religion are unrelated. Therefore not having an altar at home does not make your home feng shui bad.
Fundamentals for Altar placement
1. Place it in the Living Hall unless you have a private room dedicated to worship.
2. Find the best sector in your house. Used the sector with the most overlapped from formulas such as san yuan 三元 or ba zhai八宅 or bazi福德 or qimen 奇门. In addition to this when we worship or burn joss sticks it cause “motion” and positive energy is generated when this is the best sector 吉凶悔吝者, 生乎動者也.
3. Your altar height should be the same or higher than your shoulder.
4. If possible, altar should face towards an open space e.g. Main Door or Window. If given a choice for either directions, one can use san yuan period 8 auspicious NE direction or period 9 South direction to invite 纳旺气. You can also consider using your bazi best element 八字用神 if you have consulted a bazi master before.
5. Ensure that your altar is 稳 stable 定 motionless (not along passageway) 靠 supported by a solid or false wall.
6. Place it within the House quiet location 安静 away from television, audio, electrical equipment 声杀 or router 磁电煞
7. Size of the Altar proportional to your house.
8. Keep the Altar clean and bright.
9. Choose an auspicious date to “commence” the God worship e.g. shift in dates given by your feng shui master.
1. Do not have a fish tank or water feature above (淋头水) or below (割腳水) or beside the altar. i have seen some decorations where deity is inside the koi pond.
2. Do not place it along passage way or corridor or door 通道-动线 . God is supposed to be in a tranquil place.
3. You should your altar beside the Main Door (动方) or any doors or any “entrance” e.g. kitchen opening. Because altar is a place for worship for peace of mind.
4. Do not have any rubbish beside or under or inside the altar.
5. Altar should not be suspended in mid-air.
6. Do not place it facing the toilet door 孤陰 or bedroom door or kitchen 燥陽 opening.
7. Do not worship too many Gods that it becomes crowded.
8. Do not mixed different religion together in one altar, it is disrespectful.
9. Do not place it directly opposite (180 degree) to a mirror or clock.
10. Do not place it where the wall is shared with toilet (污水) or kitchen (燥火) or staircase/walkway.
11. Do not put it under an overhead beam 横梁.