Position of your altar in the house is a form of respect to God. It should at your home feng shui best sector & direction. If unfortunate there is insufficient space due to structural constraints then placing it at some leftover corner is disrespectful. In such a situation, it is best to go temple for worship. Having say that, feng shui and religion are unrelated.
Fundamentals for Altar placement
1. Place it in the Living Hall unless you have a private room dedicated for worship.
2. Find the most auspicious sector by overlapping feng shui formulas such as san yuan 三元 or ba zhai八宅 or bazi 福德 or qimen 奇门.
3. Height of the altar should be the same or higher than your shoulder.
4. Your deity should face towards an open space such as main door or window. If you can integrate san yuan da gua auspicious direction even better.
5. Ensure that your altar is stable 稳, motionless 定 (not along passageway) and supported 靠 by a solid wall.
6. Place it away from “noise” such as TV or any electrical appliances or router 磁电煞
7. Size of the Altar proportional to your house.
8. Keep the Altar clean and bright.
9. Choose an auspicious date to “commence” the God worship e.g. shift in dates given by your feng shui master.
1. Do not have a fish tank or water feature above (淋头水) or below (割腳水) or beside the altar. i have seen some decorations where deity is inside the koi pond.
2. Do not place it along corridor or beside the door 动线. God is peaceful.
3. Do not have any rubbish beside or under or inside the altar.
4. Altar should not be suspended in mid-air.
5. Do not place it facing the toilet door 孤陰 or bedroom door or kitchen 燥陽 opening.
6. Do not worship too many Gods that it becomes crowded.
7. Do not mixed different religion together in one altar, it is disrespectful.
8. Do not place it directly opposite (180 degree) to a mirror or clock.
9. Do not place it where the wall is shared with toilet (污水) or kitchen (燥火) or staircase/walkway.
11. Do not put it under an overhead beam 横梁.