- Feng Shui
- Feng Shui Home
- Business Feng Shui
- Life Aspects
"classical wisdom, modern inspirations"
Home feng shui and religion is unrelated, so not having an altar does not make your home feng shui bad.
Altar placement is of paramount importance because it is like inviting a “VIP” to reside in your house. For those with who are having a religion it is a form of respect to place your deity in the most honored sector & not the “leftover” space after putting your TV, sofa etc. Therefore if you intend to place an altar, other living hall decor, furniture becomes secondary.
Here is the elementary version of “do’s and don’ts” for altar placement:
1. Place it in the Living Hall unless you have a private room to spare solely for worship purposes.
2. Install your altar within the Home Destiny Best Energy sector. To quote from iChing, positive energy is created when it is “activated 吉凶悔吝者, 生乎動者也”. If unfortunately the entire living hall is within a “negative energy” zone e.g. critical illness area, then you are better off not having an altar at home.
3. The minimum height of your altar must be above your shoulder. Take for instance if you your floor to ceiling height is 3 metre than your God sitting position should be 2 metre & above. One can divide your house into 地 from floor 1 metre 人 middle and 天 2 metre onwards. The principle is extracted from: 周易三才 中指“天地人”，三才之道即天道、地道、人道，立天之道曰阴与阳，立地之道日柔与刚，立人之道日仁与义.
4. The altar should face towards an open area e.g. Main Door or Window. If given a choice for both directions, one can redefine it by facing towards an auspicious 生旺方 direction. In period 8 is either NE direction or South direction, forthcoming period is 9.
5. Ensure that your altar is 稳 stable 定 motionless (not along passageway) 靠 supported by a solid or false wall.
6. Place it within the House quiet location 安静 away from television, audio, electrical equipment 声杀 or router 磁电煞
7. Size of the Altar proportional to your house.
8. Keep the Altar clean and bright.
9. Choose an auspicious date to “commence” the God worship e.g. shift in dates given by your feng shui master.
1. Do not have a fish tank or water feature above (淋头水) or below (割腳水) or beside the altar. i have seen some decorations where the God is inside the koi pond, that is really bad.
2. Do not place it in the path of passage way 通道-动线 e.g. corridor, walkway of the house, because worshiping God is supposed to be in a tranquil place.
3. Do not place it beside the Main Door (动方) or any bedroom door (人位) or any “entrance/opening” e.g. kitchen opening
4. Do not have any rubbish beside or under or inside the altar.
5. Do not suspend your Altar in mid-air due to space constraints.
6. Do not place it facing the toilet door 孤陰 or bedroom door or kitchen 燥陽 opening.
7. Do not worship to many Gods and it becomes overly crowded. Some clients mixed different religion together which in my opinion is disrespectful.
8. Do not place it directly opposite (180 degree) a mirror or clock.
9. Do not place it where the wall is shared with the toilet (污水) or kitchen (燥火) or staircase/walkway.
10. Do not put it under an overhead beam 横梁. Beam that is adjoining to the edge of wall is not overhead beam.
If one can place the altar fulfilling all the conditions above, chances are you have position your altar correctly.