Day of shift in is a traditional chinese custom practice, technically not based on feng shui principles. However it is important to choose an auspicious date and time to shift in based on feng shui and bazi formulas. A good start is half the battle won.
Family member must stay overnight for the first time. It does not matter if some of your family members are overseas or schooling and can’t make it for the day.
The importance is on the start date and time. The shift in procedure was passed down from old grandmasters of fengshui than feng shui principles itself. It is “symbolic” to good fortune 好意头,兆头, 彩头. Fire crackers and charcoal stove are used in the past to commemorate move-in day. Here is the simplified version to give you peace of mind.
*Please note that all the “heavy lifting” such as bed, furniture, refrigerator, sofa set, TV console can be install or transported prior to shift in.
*As for those with religion, you can set up the altar stand (but not light up) prior to day of move in. On the auspicious date and time chosen by your feng shui master you can do the necessaries like burn joss stick, offerings, lighting it up and others.
Shift in Day procedures
1. Do choose an auspicious day and time to move-in.
2. Prior to shift in, sprinkle $168 consisting of $1 coin all over the entire house. The amount is up to you, you can use $888 if it is not too heavy to carry.
3. Wear something new on that day of shifting in like Chinese New Year.
4. Stick one pair of red 对联 (dui lian) Chinese scrolls on each side of the door. You can remove this after staying in your new house for about 7 days. This is believed to defense against evil spirits 僻邪驱鬼.
5. The most senior member of house should lead and enter the house first, this is a form of respect.
6. Family members should carry items symbolic to good luck when entering new house. Father can carry money in a red packet or cheque book or anything that symbolic to wealth. Mother can bring small quantities of 米 油 盐 酱 醋 茶 rice, oil, salt, sauce, vinegar, tea leave omit the 柴 charcoal to signify abundance. Children that are still studying can carry 葱蒜 spring onion & garlic or 4 calligraphy brushes. Singles who wish to get married can carry a red string. Some carries new broom and dustpan to represent new brooms sweep clean. Family members should wear new clothes and bring new items, signifying a brand new start.
7. After entering you can pick up the 168 pieces of 1 dollar coin, put inside a red packet and place it under your mattress in your room. This signifies “财源广进” ushering wealth into your house.
“boiling of water to cook a meal with rice” is symbolic to shift in 入伙
8. Activate all electricity, lighting and appliances. It is important to turn on your gas stove 开炉 (kai lu) to boil water and cook a meal. This must fall within auspicious timing given by your master. Most think that “boiling of water” is symbolic to “shift in” but cooking a meal is technically more complete. It signifies your home is flourishing 风生水起.
Switching on all home lightings is symbolic to bringing the “charcoal stove” into the house because lightings is “fire” element. Custom believed that “fire” can dispel negative energies.
9. 安床 one can do it together on the shift in day. You can do the bed/mattress delivery before the date but do not place it in position yet, purposely slant it by not flushing to the wall or place the mattress upright at the ideal bed position and ONLY install it “PROPERLY” on the auspicious date and time.
*for resale house, one can consider burning incense at the center of your entire house.
**woman who are pregnant should not shift house