- Feng Shui
- Feng Shui Home
- Business Feng Shui
- Life Aspects
"classical wisdom, modern inspirations"
There is no special procedure BUT the most important step is to choose an auspicious day and time to reach your new home and sleep overnight on said day for the first time. If you have stayed overnight before then the following custom is irrelevant. The following details are passed down from old grandmasters of fengshui than books of classical feng shui. It is “symbolic” to good fortune 好意头,兆头, 彩头 for your new home. In the past, it is traditional to use fire crackers and charcoal stove to commemorate the move-in day. Unfortunately fire crackers were banned in Singapore. Here is a simplified version to give you peace of mind.
*Please note that all the “heavy lifting” such as bed, refrigerator, sofa set, TV console can be shifted in prior to the auspicious day. The day of shifting in should be “free and easy” for you and your loved ones probably bringing some light clothings and daily home hygiene tools.
*As for those with religion, you can set up the altar stand (but not lighted up) prior to day of move in. On the auspicious date and time chosen by your feng shui master you can do the necessaries like burn joss stick, offerings, lighting it up and others.
Shift in Day procedures
1. Do choose an auspicious day and time to move-in.
2. One day prior to shift in, sprinkle $168 consisting of $1 coin all over the entire house. The amount is up to you, you can even use $888 if it is not too heavy to carry.
3. Wear something new on that day of shifting in like Chinese New Year.
4. Stick one pair of red 对联 (dui lian) Chinese scrolls on each side of the door. You can remove this after staying in your new house for about 7 days. This is believed to be a defense against evil spirits 僻邪驱鬼.
5. The most senior member of house should lead and enter the house first, this is a form of respect.
6. You and your family members that are staying in the house should carry items that signifies “auspicious” or “luck” in your hands as you enter your new house. The head of household can carry “angpow with money inside” or cheque book or abacus or gold bars (anything that is symbolic to wealth), female owner can carry rice bin, oil, salt, 柴米油盐 or water, bowl & chopsticks, kids can carry 葱蒜suan cong/ green onion(scallion) or sweets or 4 chinese calligraphy brushes for studies , singles who wishes to tie the wedding knot can carry a red string. Some tradition carries new broom and dustpan; signifies new brooms sweep clean. Who carries what doesn’t really matter. Family members wearing something new and bringing something new signify a brand new start.
7. After entering the house, you can pick up the 168 pieces of 1 dollar coin all over the house, put it inside a red packet and place it under your mattress in your room. This signifies “财源广进” ushering wealth into your house.
The “boiling of water and to cook a meal with rice” is significant for 入伙
8. Switch on all electricity e.g. lights etc and more importantly the “stove” 开炉 (kai lu) to boil water and 煮饭 cook a simple or sumptuous meal depends on you. This must fall within the auspicious hours given by the master or your own selection. Since the lucky time chosen is normally 2 hours, it should be pretty easy to do so. Most people thought that “boiling of water” is symbolic to “shift in” but cooking a meal with rice is technically more complete and it signifies that your home is flourishing 风生水起! Thus it is important to remember that “boiling of water and to cook a meal with rice” is the significance of 入伙 Shift in day. You can also stock up the meat and vegetables before the shift in date in the refrigerator if that will make your life easier. You can then switch on the fan or air conditioner, all the lights for your entire home, this is symbolic to bringing the “charcoal stove” into the house because lightings belongs to the “fire” element. Chinese believed that “fire” can dispel all the negative energies in the house.
9. 安床 one can do it together on the shift in day. You can do the bed/mattress delivery before the date but do not place it in position yet, purposely slant it by not flushing to the wall or place the mattress upright at the ideal bed position and ONLY install it “PROPERLY” on the auspicious date and time.
*for resale house, one can consider burning incense at the center of your entire house.
**it is not recommended for pregnant woman to shift house